Resources for Health Officials
Below is a list of useful materials for state and local health departments. (Note: this is only a partial listing of resources available on the CDC Smallpox Site.)
- Acute, Generalized Vesicular or Pustular Rash Illness Testing Protocol in the United States
Protocol developed to illustrate types of lab testing for patients with acute, generalized vesicular or pustular rash illness
- Specimen Collection of Vaccinia Virus
- For additional resources, see Smallpox: Laboratory Testing.
Surveillance & Investigation
- For additional resources, see Smallpox Infection Control.
CDC Interim Guidance for Revaccination
Interim Guidance for Revaccination of Eligible Persons who Participated in the US Civilian Smallpox Preparedness and Response Program (October 2008)
- Algorithm for Evaluating Suspected Vaccinia Vaccination (Smallpox Vaccination) Pericarditis-Myocarditis (103 KB/7 pages)
DoD Vaccine Healthcare Center (VHC), Version 21 July 05
The preparation of the Smallpox Myopericarditis Algorithm was due to the efforts of the many individuals affiliated with the VHC Network.
- ACIP Recommendations for Using Smallpox Vaccine in a Pre-Event Vaccination Program (April 2003)
- Vaccine Administration
- Pre-Vaccination Information Packet
To print & distribute to prospective vaccinees
- Maxi-Vac Version 1.0 and Maxi-Vac Alternative Computer Programs
Free software for planning optimal large-scale smallpox vaccination clinics
- Training: Adverse Event Workshop for State Health Departments
- VAERS Report Follow-up Worksheet (59 KB/1 page)
- Adverse Event Supplemental Surveillance Worksheet (153 KB/1 page)
For additional resources, see Smallpox Vaccination.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Smallpox Vaccine NEW! March 13, 2009
- Infection Control and Isolation of Smallpox Patients NEW! March 13, 2009
- Pre-Event Vaccination NEW! March 13, 2009
- Post-Event Vaccination NEW! March 13, 2009
- Contraindications and Screening NEW! March 13, 2009
- Infection Control Issues for Vaccinated Healthcare Workers NEW! March 13, 2009
- Surveillance & Investigation NEW! March 13, 2009
- Preparation and Planning NEW! March 13, 2009
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding NEW! March 13, 2009
- Vaccine Storage and Distribution NEW! March 13, 2009
- Consensus Statement: Smallpox as a Biological Weapon: Medical and Public Health Management
Henderson D, Inglesby T, Bartlett J, Ascher MS, Eitzen E, Jahrling, PB
JAMA 1999 Jun 9;281(22):2127-2137. See abstract
- Smallpox & its Eradication
Fenner F, Henderson D, Arita I, Jezek Z, Ladnyi I
Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1988.
- For additional references, see Smallpox References.