Gulf Oil Spill 2010: Related Web Sites
In any response to a complex emergency, different agencies take specific roles in the response.
FDA has established 1-888-INFO-FDA - as the primary number for consumers to call with any concerns about seafood safety related to the oil spill.
- Unified Federal Oil Spill Response - Find the latest incident updates, information on plans for specific areas, and information on how to volunteer to help. The Joint Information Center, led by the Federal Emergency Management Agency in the Department of Homeland Security, coordinates this website and all information from federal and private partners involved in responding to the oil spill.
- National Library of Medicine (NLM) - Crude Oil Spills and Health.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - Contains answers to questions about how EPA is responding to environmental concerns in the air and water related to the oil spill.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA) - FDA is monitoring the situation and its potential impact on the safety of seafood harvested from the area.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) - The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service is responsible for the management, conservation and protection of living marine resources in water 3 to 200 miles offshore. NOAA will continue to monitor the situation and notify the public if any problem is detected with seafood from this area of the country.
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) - The National Institute of Environmental Health Science (NIEHS) has summarized many of the hazards and protections needed for workers involved in oil spill response and cleanup in the Oil Spill Safety Awareness Tool.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) - CDC’s National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) is working to provide recommendations to workers about chemical exposures, physical hazards and biological hazards they may encounter.
Alabama Department of Public Health
Alabama Department of Environmental Management
Alabama Department of Mental Health
Florida Department of Environmental Protection
888-337-3569 (Florida Oil Spill Information Line)
Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals
Louisiana Oil Spill Response Website
866-448-5816 (Louisiana Environment/Community Hotline)
Mississippi State Department of Health
Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality
866-519-6362 (Mississippi Emergency Management Agency Hotline)
Texas Department of State Health Services News Updates