If a radiation emergency occurs, you can take actions to protect yourself, your loved ones, and your pets.
Radiation can affect the body in a number of ways, and the adverse health effects of exposure may not be apparent for many years.
- Possible Health Effects of Radiation Exposure and Contamination
- Treatments for Radiation Exposure and Contamination
- Health Information for Specific Groups
Resources for professionals in making an informed decision during a radiation emergency.
- Public Health Preparedness Capabilities
- Resource Library -- Additional CDC webpages, documents, and videos on radiation emergencies, organized by topic
- Radiation Emergency Toolkits -- FREE toolkits available.
- Radiation Emergency Training and Education -- Trainings, applications and classes related to radiation emergency education
Highlights / In The News
The CDC is monitoring the situation in Japan.
At this time:
- There is no travel advisory for Japan because of radiation hazards.
- There is no radiation hazard in the United States from Japan.
- There is no radiation hazard for food, including seafood.
Radiation Emergencies Resource Library A collection of CDC and its partners' materials on radiation emergency education. This site includes videos, factsheets, and other information.
Radiation Basics Made SimpleNEW! A training module that introduces participants to the fundamentals of radiation and radioactivity. This training features an enhanced lecture-style video and interactive knowledge checks to deliver and reinforce key concepts.
Application: Internal Contamination Clinical Reference (ICCR)NEW! Click here to download an application (for Android devices, iPads, and iPhones) estimating reference concentrations of radionuclides in urine.
- Page last updated April 4, 2014
- Content source: National Center for Environmental Health (NCEH)/Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (NCIPC)
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address: