If a radiation emergency occurs, you can take actions to protect yourself, your loved ones, and your pets.
Radiation and Your Health
Radiation can affect the body in a number of ways, and the adverse health effects of exposure may not be apparent for many years.
- Possible Health Effects of Radiation Exposure and Contamination
- Treatments for Radiation Exposure and Contamination
- Health Information for Specific Groups
Information for Professionals
Resources for professionals in making an informed decision during a radiation emergency.
- Public Health Preparedness Capabilities
- Radiation Emergency Resource Library -- Additional CDC webpages, documents, and videos on radiation emergencies, organized by topic
- Radiation Emergency Toolkits -- FREE toolkits available
- Radiation Emergency Training and Education
To order materials, request them through CDC-INFO
Highlights / In The News
The CDC is monitoring the situation in Japan.
At this time:
- There is no travel advisory for Japan because of radiation hazards.
- There is no radiation hazard in the United States from Japan.
- There is no radiation hazard for food, including seafood.
More information on Japan can be found here.
NEW! A Guide to Operating Public Shelters in a Radiation Emergency (February 2015) has been developed to assist with planning and response efforts related to shelter operations in a radiation emergency. This guide is the result of a multiagency collaboration exploring the unique challenges radiation emergencies pose for shelter operations.
NEW! Medical Countermeasures for Radiation Exposure and Contamination is a training module that aids in better understanding what medical countermeasures (treatments) are available for radiation exposure and contamination, how they work, and how and when they should be used.
NEW! Radiation Basics Made Simple
A training module that introduces participants to the fundamentals of radiation and radioactivity. This training features an enhanced lecture-style video and interactive knowledge checks to deliver and reinforce key concepts.
- Page last reviewed: July 10, 2014
- Page last updated: February 19, 2015
- Content source:
- Maintained By: