Radiation Emergencies - What should I do?
If a radiation emergency occurs, you can take actions to protect yourself, your loved ones, and your pets.
In a radiation emergency you may be asked to get inside a building and take shelter for a period of time.
- This action is called "sheltering in place."
- Get to the middle of the building or a basement, away from doors and windows.
- Bring pets inside.
Staying inside will reduce your exposure to radiation.
- Close and lock windows and doors.
- Take a shower or wipe exposed parts of your body with a damp cloth.
- Drink bottled water and eat food in sealed containers.
Emergency officials are trained to respond to disaster situations and will provide specific actions to help keep people safe.
- Use radios, televisions, computers, mobile devices, and other tools to get the latest information.
- Emergency officials will provide information on where to go to get screened for contamination.
- Page last reviewed: July 10, 2014
- Page last updated: October 3, 2014
- Content source:
- Maintained By: